Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love SOMA!! However, I really didn't like...
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22
RE: I love SOMA!! However, I really didn't like...

For me, the Theta maintenance tunnels were definitely my lest favorite part of the game.

It suffered from the same problems that pre-shuttle Upsilon and Delta had, in that everything seemed to be placed in a way that it was very easy to get turned around. The way that Upsilon and Delta received a pass from me, though, was because they were also relatively threat-free, so it almost promoted the ability to wander around and explore, searching for the lore and admiring the environments.

The Theta tunnels, however, had you hiding from monsters the entire time, so the ability to freely explore and map out your surroundings was pretty limited. If you got caught by a monster, it would sometimes put you in a different location than you were before, further emphasizing the frustration of blindly walking in the hopes that you will stumble upon where you needed to go.

Even the monster in Tau was fairly forgiving in that once you found a new room to hide in, you could explore that room while the monster was off patrolling elsewhere. By contrast, the rooms and corridors in the Theta tunnels were largely devoid of lore objects that I could discover, and past the whole "wow, this place is WAU'd out the ass", there wasn't really a whole lot to be able to take in. In general, I just felt it to be an exercise in pause-and-go gameplay coupled with the fear-giving-way-to-frustration phenomenon that plagues every horror game ever made.

(I'd like to clarify that this is me being nitpicky. I loved the game in general from start to finish. Smile)
11-10-2015, 05:38 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: I love SOMA!! However, I really didn't like... - by Abion47 - 11-10-2015, 05:38 AM