The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The future of immigration
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
The future of immigration

Okay, so I got the idea for this thread after watching some silly propaganda video against immigration. Hopefully it hasn't manipulated my rationality, because I actually agree with some of it.

Right, as people know there's currently issues going on with immigration. Firstly it's the fact that it's happening at this scale, but there are many more problems that need to be dealt with as well. The war in Syria is definitely a genuine reason to flee and immigrate, but can the west support all the people?

As sad as it might be, the west thrives because the east doesn't. It might not be directly because of their poor conditions, but more so because the west is greedy with importing resources. Europe's past is also a factor as to why it's so successful today, since governments and cultures have developed for long enough to sustain itself now. The imbalance of the world is why some select few places work extremely well compared to others. Equalizing it cannot be done, but if it were to happen, we'd all be in semi-poor conditions. That isn't going to happen.

Now, as for the refugees and immigrants, here's what I've compiled as a list of relevant dilemmas:
  • There are too many immigrants for the west to take in, if the west wishes to continue to operate at their level of success.
  • The culture of the immigrants conflicts heavily with the western ones, causing even more problems over time due to differing moral standpoints.
  • Many immigrants who commit crime manage to get away with it when the word "racist" is used, because the western people could have their lives greatly affected by such a claim.
  • For where the immigrants are accepted in large numbers, you can see that things are changing. Some white populations are becoming minorities in their own countries (take London for example), and the eastern culture is gaining power. All cultures have issues, but in my eyes, the eastern ones do lack too many basic human rights.
  • By taking in huge amounts of immigrants into the west, aren't we just bringing the problem here instead of fixing it where it occurs; in the east?
  • Some immigrants use Syria's condition as an excuse to immigrate. These are often Afghan people claiming to be Syrian. The issue here is that they leech money from the west to send directly to the east.
  • Some believe the immigration process is a decoy of ISIS to spread their influence in the world. Personally I don't believe this to be the main cause, but it definitely could be a side effect to take advantage of.

Some of these points might sound harsh, so feel free to knock some sense into me if they are unreasonable.

I've been fairly accepting of immigrants myself for a while, but as I'm starting to personally feel the effects of it, I'm getting somewhat worried. I can't say I'm too affected by it yet, but some of the things happening in Norway don't seem like very long-term solutions.

This video is fantasic in this sense, however it talks about immigrants that aren't fleeing wars, like in Syria. I support accepting refugees, but I'm more sceptical towards general immigration and I believe this guy is spot on with his explanation.

I could go on for longer than anyone would be interested, so I'll try to stop here.

What are your thoughts on the current immigration situation? What would you suggest be done about it?

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015, 12:54 PM by Mudbill.)
11-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
The future of immigration - by Mudbill - 11-20-2015, 12:54 PM
RE: The future of immigration - by Nice - 11-20-2015, 01:10 PM
RE: The future of immigration - by Mudbill - 11-20-2015, 01:12 PM
RE: The future of immigration - by Slanderous - 11-21-2015, 08:58 PM
RE: The future of immigration - by Mudbill - 11-21-2015, 11:58 PM
RE: The future of immigration - by i3670 - 11-22-2015, 03:07 AM
RE: The future of immigration - by WarGod45 - 10-24-2016, 08:21 AM
RE: The future of immigration - by Mudbill - 10-24-2016, 08:58 AM
RE: The future of immigration - by i3670 - 10-24-2016, 11:03 AM