Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOMA Philosophical Questionnaire
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: SOMA Philosophical Questionnaire

Here are my answers:
Spoiler below!
1. Do you think consciousness is physical or nonphysical?
B - I believe that, although the brain is just electronic impulses caused by physical instances, the consciousness is not physical. It's like saying a dream is real life to me.

2. Would you use a Star Trek transporter (assuming it's in perfect condition)?
X - Never watched Star Trek so I can't answer.

3. Would you help a terminally ill person commit suicide (disregarding legal issues)?
C - Probably not as I'd be looking for alternatives where possible. Not cutting it out as a final destination though.

4. Are you religious?
C - Not religious.

5. How do you think your viewpoint changes throughout the game?
A - I believe the game follows Simon's consciousness, regardless of which body it's located in. I don't believe in the memory of Simon-3 theory, since you're making your own choices along the way, and that the game changes focus to the specific gameplay-relative Simon copy.

6. How do you feel about the "continuity enthusiasts" at Theta?
C - They were stupid. There was nothing suggesting a transportation of minds would occur.

7. Do you think the WAU could restore a dead person's consciousness?
B - I think the WAU can only create new ones, as yours is done and gone when your brain shuts down. This relates to #1 where the mind is non-physical, because even if you reboot the brain, it won't have the consciousness from before.

8. In Simon's shoes, would you view the ARK as a possible escape route?
X - I'm conflicted about this one. I'd probably have to go with D, as the other three are straight up wrong. However I think it might be a possible escape route, but not for his current "life." It'd be a long-term escape route (though not long enough).

9. What value do you place on robot Carl Semken's life?
B - Carl Bot doesn't have a brain. Would that mean shutting him down and powering him up keep his consciousness? Would it reset? It would surely still be there (unless it's kept in RAM which would be strange). I'm guessing the scan is saved to some disk within him, and that what he experiences is stored in temporary memory. The issue here is that, even if he were "killed," you could still just upload another scan and have him "live" again. What are robots' purpose without humans? I value human lives over them.

10. What value do you place on simulated Brandon Wan's life?
B - I hold a similar approach to this as the one above. He's reset every time it boots, so he forgets the pain he goes through. Since he's purely digital at that point, he won't have any actual artificial nerves connected to him, so I believe any physical pain is out of the question. He's like an in-game player. He doesn't hold up to his human self in my opinion.

11. Before leaving Omicron, what's the right thing to do?
X - I don't believe there is a "right" thing to do here. But if Simon-2's consciousness is like Brandon's, then shutting him down (AKA kill him) would reset his consciousness to that of when he woke up at Upsilon. Keeping him alive could lead his fate into the claws of the WAU creatures. However, the WAU created Simon-2 to begin with, because it was getting better at creating "humans." If he's kept alive, the WAU might also help keep Simon-2 alive, should he be in danger or die, similar to how Ross is kept alive.

12. Is Johan Ross closer to a hero or a villain?
X - I'm going to stay neutral on this one. He has good intentions, and not all heroes are nice, but he's also biased. He refuses to change his mind and only thinks about his objective. He's one sided and irrational. The WAU has done horrible things, however it is also improving, which he fails to see. Strange, since he's a direct example of the WAUs skills.

13. How do you feel about the WAU?
B - The WAU is unpredictable, and I believe that if it stays alive, it will create many abominations before being useful. However, eventually it will get to the point that it can create acceptable and great things. The abominations should wither with time, and there might be a future for the robots that are created. Perhaps, if they maintain their human self awareness, they can help support the life that will resurrect on the dead Earth.

14. How do you feel about the ARK?
B - The ARK is great, but can only contribute as proof of existance. It didn't save anyone. All it did was create new "life" in digital form that could live in a paradise. The people on the outside won't even know if it worked. The only good thing, or great rather, is that the people living inside were once outside, even if the people outside don't know. But at some point, all it really is is a piece of electronic metal.

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2015, 10:53 AM by Mudbill.)
11-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
SOMA Philosophical Questionnaire - by GhylTarvoke - 11-25-2015, 10:23 AM
RE: SOMA Philosophical Questionnaire - by Mudbill - 11-25-2015, 11:33 AM
RE: SOMA Philosophical Questionnaire - by Vaeh - 11-25-2015, 09:27 PM
RE: SOMA Philosophical Questionnaire - by Striker - 11-27-2015, 09:12 AM