Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Is anyone even reading reviews?
suibriel Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Is anyone even reading reviews?

You're just someone trying to justify that you spoiled a large portion of the game for yourself. Smile

I (and many people who know not to read reviews for games such as these) are obviously just more perceptive than people like you. I'm not baselessly putting words into anything there. You can clearly read between the lines and make logical assumptions about what the reviewer is saying. And indeed, while actually playing the game, they change the way you experience the world due to bits and bits of what was essentially unknown to you being shed light on.

As for the quote by quote junk you said - all nonsense. Knowing the result of death does take away from your initial impressions of the game. Knowing that some reviewer found the game relatively easy does put thoughts into your head. Whether you yourself are actually aware of these thoughts is entirely up to your personality but they're there and wary readers are aware of them. You're ranting on about what deaths should and shouldn't be, that's not the problem. Amnesia is immersive enough that as a player you won't have such a capable grasp over your split second reactions - when you see a living enemy for the first time, having not read anything about the game, your first reactions will probably be "oh crap, run". However, if you've read a review or two that state things like "enemies will chase you and it is scary" or "if you are killed by an enemy, blah" - you've lost something there. You already know many things you didn't before and as a player you will now react differently. Instead of an instinctual reaction to the unknown, you will react based on fore-knowledge of the possibilities that will occur. ie- "ok I just need to run and hide for a sec."

The end result is - the person without any knowledge about the game will always have a more immersive and overall better and more personal experience. The person who read reviews will always think of the title as more of a game and will have less of his own opinions and experiences. And when the entire premise of a game is IMMERSION - why the hell would you want to know anything about it?

My advice is also great advice for every gamer. As long as you're not a functionally illiterate nonce you'll easily be able to tell what sort of game something is by just a few words. You shouldn't need entire reviews to tell you if you'll like the game or not. Make up your own mind without outside influence. The experience will always be better that way Smile

I feel sorry for people like you that ruin games for themselves and put so much weight in other people's opinions. You'll forever only follow trends and never actually have an original thought process.
09-12-2010, 02:29 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Is anyone even reading reviews? - by suibriel - 09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
RE: Is anyone even reading reviews? - by Mayron - 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM
RE: Is anyone even reading reviews? - by membrain - 09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
RE: Is anyone even reading reviews? - by graykin - 09-07-2010, 07:07 PM
RE: Is anyone even reading reviews? - by Gvaz - 09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
RE: Is anyone even reading reviews? - by Kerghan - 09-10-2010, 09:55 AM
RE: Is anyone even reading reviews? - by suibriel - 09-10-2010, 11:51 AM
RE: Is anyone even reading reviews? - by VALIS - 09-10-2010, 05:50 PM
RE: Is anyone even reading reviews? - by suibriel - 09-11-2010, 12:50 AM