Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: How did you find length of Amnesia?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Too short! No matter what the price would be.
7.16%
30 7.16%
Long enough. But only considering the $20 price.
32.22%
135 32.22%
Perfect! And I would think so even if it cost more.
59.67%
250 59.67%
Could have been shorter. I think events and stuff was too drawn out.
0.95%
4 0.95%
Too long. Takes up too much of my time.
0%
0 0%
Total 419 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you think of the game's length?
dogsonofawolf Offline

Threads: 0
RE: What do you think of the game's length?

I will reiterate an idea I've seen a couple others mention, which is that the actual "length" of the game was near-perfect, but the ending itself left a little to be desired. I think the game allows just enough time to experience the material present (the three enemies, the different environment sets, etc.). The game engine is so solid that we would of course love to experience another interesting puzzle or terrifying creature encounter, but there's only so much you guys can do as an indie company. And, for the record, it took me around 10 hours to play through (I explore obsessively), and am looking forward to playing it again with commentary.

The game feels somewhat "short" however, because the ending lacks impact. Gameplay-wise, the final encounter is trivial. I don't think anyone was expecting a boss-battle, but some kind of tension would be nice. More importantly, while the story is definitely concluded (one way or another), I felt like I was missing key information. From a plot synopsis point of view, we know Daniel's motivations, and Alexander's, and we know generally what happened before Daniel lost his memory. But it's all pretty fuzzy.

I realize leaving horror to the imagination is a (very effective) tool, but it's not the same as leaving holes in the story. For example, while I desperately want to know who Alexander is and where he came from, to tell would likely ruin much of the mystery. On the other hand, a description of exactly how/why Daniel "chooses to forget" might go a long way towards me understanding why the game is happening in the first place. Particularly at the end of the game, you feel that at least one of these mysteries will be solved, and the endgame itself provides no answers.

However, that's the only real quibble I have with an otherwise fantastic game. Keep up the good work.
10-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you think of the game's length? - by dogsonofawolf - 10-28-2010, 06:32 AM