Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion for an in-game tutorial for scripting
Alterforest Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Suggestion for an in-game tutorial for scripting

Very glad to hear you're interested in creating the map Pandemoneus. Smile

It will be hard for me to mention all essential scripts since I can't script, but I guess you have to write some scripts just to get started? Like the menu, intro, character start position and so on.

People should write here what kind of scripting they want to see in the tutorial if they think somethings missing.
Having people tell whats missing will make this a map that can have several updates which ads more scripts, or the tutorial could consist of several maps instead of updating the same map... or just wait until there is a decent amount of request to make one map.

Anyhow... I think what Equil writes makes sense but I suspect there is more scripting to be done before you can even have your character in the level or am I wrong? This scripting could be the intro of the map.
I bet you know the scripting needed to get started and I have no idea how that works, so I can only request "getting started" scripting in general and "audio/visual scripts". Some things in my list might not even need scripting?

Here is my list of what I want to see in the tutorial so far, aside form the "getting started" scripting:

- Scripting for notes, how to write them, how to make them being collected in the right order (in the main game you always found the first diary part regardless of which you picked up in a level) and so on.

- Script for hints.

- Inventory scripting?

- Character view focus / camera scripts: Making the character face in a direction and scripting camera events, for example the beginning of Amnesia.

- What Equil mentioned: shutting doors, hearing sounds, wind. In short: atmospheric scripts. One that I'm personally interested in is scripting to make an entire room go red and shake. Tongue

- Event scripting. Make an event occur after a time limit, or when you or object(s) are on a certain position.

- Doors. How to make a door lead to a new level.

That's what I can request for now... I will probably find out that I missed to mention something but at least this is a start.
09-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestion for an in-game tutorial for scripting - by Alterforest - 09-26-2010, 08:48 PM