Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can a horror movie emulate the sense of dread from this game?
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24
RE: Can a horror movie emulate the sense of dread from this game?

The main difference that plays a role in how scared you can get in film vs. game, is that in a game YOU are the one doing the action, and in a movie, you're simply the watcher. So I say it cannot be done. Movies seem to rely a lot on shockers in order to scare people.

Just look at some of the YouTube videos of people playing Amnesia and getting chased by a monster. They panic and curse while they desperately try to stay away from the monster's claws, for they have to bring the main character to safety themselves.

In a movie one would simply watch and perhaps think: "Oh dear, that guy is in some big trouble." At least, I don't feel any tension when I see a hero struggle to get away from a monster against all odds. (Infact, I find such scenes, most of them, annoying.)

So that's my conclusion. Unless a movie becomes interactive, i.e. you could make choices for the main character, one may feel the same excitement, but then it simply becomes sort of a game again.
10-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can a horror movie emulate the sense of dread from this game? - by Mina Darsh - 10-20-2010, 12:58 PM