Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The coin toss revisited
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14
RE: The coin toss revisited

I agree that neither scenario is a coin toss. I also agree that the right answers are "yes" to #1 and "no" to #2. This has some unpleasant consequences, though.

If you find #2 unappealing, then I assume you would also find the following scenario unappealing, because it works like the room in #2. (A copy is created, and the original dies.)

Scenario #3:

A transporter works by breaking you down into atoms, then recreating you elsewhere with different atoms.

I also assume you would have no problem with the following scenario, because it doesn't create a copy. (It just changes your location.)

Scenario #4:

A transporter works by breaking you down into atoms, then recreating you elsewhere with the same atoms.

Now we have a dilemma. The only difference between #3 and #4 is which atoms are used to recreate you. But this isn't an important difference, because the atoms in our body are being replaced all the time, as Sarang explains:

Quote:Did you know that the human body consists of up to 75 trillion individual cells? They typically don't stay with us till we die - some live a few days while others live a few years. We're not affected by their short lifespans, as they're replaced by new cells which help sustain our bodies. I don't think anyone would argue that we ever lose our persona due to this process, yet we are clearly in a constant state of transformation.

In short: I think we're on the same side, but Sarang has a strong counterargument.
01-24-2017, 03:47 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
The coin toss revisited - by GhylTarvoke - 01-24-2017, 02:05 AM
RE: The coin toss revisited - by Abion47 - 01-24-2017, 02:47 AM
RE: The coin toss revisited - by GhylTarvoke - 01-24-2017, 03:47 AM
RE: The coin toss revisited - by cantremember - 01-24-2017, 10:41 AM
RE: The coin toss revisited - by Mudbill - 01-24-2017, 11:25 AM
RE: The coin toss revisited - by Abion47 - 01-24-2017, 12:29 PM
RE: The coin toss revisited - by BenjiBenjamin123 - 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM
RE: The coin toss revisited - by Corbent - 05-04-2017, 07:03 PM