Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress)
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress)

Here we have the beginning of enemy states. Like I said in the previous update, I had to create a custom pathfinding implementation. The way I had to do it meant that I had to create a custom state machine implementation as well. (I wonder how many other things I'm going to have to make from-scratch custom versions of before I'm done.)

Anyway, in this video there are two states: Stand and Path. Stand is what it sounds like - the dude is just standing there, waiting for something to happen. Path is the idle patrol state, where the enemy follows a predefined patrol path. In the Path state, the enemy is also intelligent enough to detect when it's standing in front of a door and will open it before walking through. (Another thing that I had to recreate.) I also upgraded the A* pathfinding to allow for diagonal movement.

Another thing I had to change that I didn't expect to is all the walls on the map have been converted from static objects to entities. The reason for this is because apparently at the high movement speeds required for Wolfenstein 3D, if the player is sprinting, they will walk right through anything that isn't a blocking entity. There's apparently something interesting going on with the physics regarding static entities that let players walk through them when they wouldn't be able to with entities. (Of course, the alternative solution would be to cover all the walls with block boxes, and that would achieve the same result while involving fewer active objects. However, entities of the type StaticProp aren't much more intensive than static objects, and having collision integrated with the wall objects themselves makes creating future levels easier. (Not to mention there aren't so many wall objects that it would be that much of a concern anyway. Most SOMA levels have more dynamic objects in a given major room than these Wolf3D levels have in the entire map.)

Next up is when things start getting real interesting. Now that the state machine and pathfinding are both implemented, it's about time to start with player detection, and shortly thereafter, combat.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2017, 03:11 AM by Abion47.)
09-11-2017, 03:04 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress) - by Abion47 - 08-29-2017, 09:45 AM
RE: Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress) - by Abion47 - 09-11-2017, 03:04 AM