Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Coin Flip: A Different Perspective
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14
RE: The Coin Flip: A Different Perspective

Even though I'm firmly in the "Simon's continuity is an illusion" camp, I have trouble seeing where the cell replacement argument breaks down.

Did you know that the human body consists of up to 75 trillion individual cells? They typically don't stay with us till we die. Some live a few days, while others live a few years. We're not affected by their short lifespans, as they're replaced by new cells which help sustain our bodies. I don't think anyone would argue that we ever lose our persona due to this process, yet we are clearly in a constant state of transformation. Then how do we remain the same? A continuous flow of thought and perception keeps an unbroken chain of continuity that we know as our "self". Our conscious mind is not the pattern of our brain, but a continuous, emergent entity based on that pattern.

What makes today-me the same as yesterday-me, or ten-years-ago-me? Just like the multiple Simons, the multiple GhylTarvokes have similar brain states, but different compositions. If Simon's continuity is an illusion, why isn't mine?
09-23-2018, 06:03 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Coin Flip: A Different Perspective - by GhylTarvoke - 09-23-2018, 06:03 PM