Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

why we love to be afraid...
Alex7754 Offline

Threads: 6
RE: why we love to be afraid...

Its not so much the being afraid I love, If that were the case I would think movies and games with creepy little girls and faces popping out enjoyable. To me the fear mostly is to force the player into immersion. For if your afraid and care about what might happen to your character you automatically will bring yourself into the moment and experience the situation with an attachment to the things happening. But as I said this alone isn't what makes it enjoyable. Once you are, "In It", what frictional games does so well is creating a strange lore to explore and making you think. "I don't understand" what are these monsters" "what was that, was it human" ..
I think Philip in penumbra can explain this further,- "Whatever I was going into was 200 feet below ground and blocked by two 6 inch steel hatches, hidden in the desolate reaches of northern Greenland." <--- (note this is not quoted word by word, just the best I can remember)

Also I like to be very afraid, so that occasionally I get the chance to be brave.

But that's just me, I would be curious at why other people like being afraid, or like to experience while in a frightful atmosphere.

Edit: Also, I think the fear in these games is more.. "feely".. then the fear in games like doom and condemned IMO, I never found games to tied to the human or even "paranormal" sides of horror scary. You might feel tense or afraid, namely of pain, but when there's just a crazy person hunting you with a rusty shank and you can look at the situation and understand why your afraid and of what it is your afraid of, Its near impossible at least for me to feel that feeling of boundless terror and fright. Its just to familiar in my opinion. Even in games like doom where a gate into hell is opened, hell by now is just a part of the human belief and is also familiar. So yeah that's how I feel. wow I didn't mean for this to go on so long what am I doing
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2010, 10:19 AM by Alex7754.)
12-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
why we love to be afraid... - by ving - 12-07-2010, 04:17 AM
RE: why we love to be afraid... - by Aphotic - 12-07-2010, 08:21 AM
RE: why we love to be afraid... - by Alex7754 - 12-07-2010, 10:02 AM
RE: why we love to be afraid... - by Alex7754 - 12-07-2010, 11:13 PM
RE: why we love to be afraid... - by Aphotic - 12-07-2010, 08:15 PM
RE: why we love to be afraid... - by Crabski - 12-08-2010, 01:13 AM
RE: why we love to be afraid... - by sagdashin - 12-08-2010, 01:20 AM