Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra: Overture - Text Walkthrough
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Complete Walkthrough part 1

Great, I was thinking about starting one myself, now that I finished the first Episode, and you saved me a lot of time since now I can just help with yours Smile

My first suggestion would be to subdivide the plot a bit more, maybe by makeshift puzzle titles (like "Breaking the ice" for the entry hatch). This way players can easily check their progress by looking at the puzzle titles, without having to read everything. Penumbra's storyline is linear enough to allow this kind of sub-chapters.

I also noticed that the ingame maps are openly accessible as textures within the game folders.

If you don't mind, we could share the work somehow.
You just write everything down the way it comes to your mind, and I'll manage the fine-tuning stuff, like subdivisions, minor errors, or misinterpretable instructions, and try to create a kind of layout with the relevant maps next to the describing text.
I'll have to work out the best way to do this first, though, maybe putting the maps along with the text isn't such a great idea after all.
It's 5 am for me right now, and I should go to bed, but I'll try reformatting the first part of the walkthrough tomorrow, if you're ok with that.

[important edit]
I finished converting all of pikacz's walkthrough into a kind of layouted HTML file, along with the ingame maps.

The files now attached to this post contain the following:
zip file:
All ingame maps as jpg files (just copies of the files I found in the game directories) and as gif files (optimized for printing. These are the maps used in the:
htm file:
The actual walkthrough. This file is now no longer contained in the zip file, so you have to download both files. The gif files from the zip archive should be placed in the same directory as the htm file, or you won't see the maps when reading the walkthrough.

If you find anything that's wrong in that version of the walkthrough, please tell me. Especially linguistic mistakes, as English is a foreign language to me.

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2007, 10:58 PM by klutzon.)
04-07-2007, 03:52 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Penumbra: Overture - Text Walkthrough - by pikacz - 04-07-2007, 01:14 AM