The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Frightening Ideas...
TheCollective15 Offline

Threads: 5
Frightening Ideas...

So far, while playing through the game (and the Penumbra 2006 Tech Demo, I might add) the scariest parts were not when you were being attacked by enemies, but when you were afraid of being attacked by enemies...one of the spookiest parts in Overture was at the very end,
Spoiler below!
where you see the black figure at the end of the tunnel, and the lights shut down, one by one...my heart was racing, waiting for some weird figure to run up and attack me, like a zombie from Half Life 2...and, oddly enough, it was not that scary at all being bopped in the back of the head/strangled/captured, whatever it was that they did to immoblize you...

So, what specific (scripted) scenes do you think would fit Overture, and provide a great scare?

So far, I can think of a moment in the movie Signs, where the two residents are trying to find a coal shute in their basement to block off the aliens...eventually they find it, with flashlights dimmly illuminating the grate, their child standing just in front of it, but all of the sudden, seemingly out of nowhere, a camoflauged alien arm grabs the child and nearly kills him. Such a scene (without the child...Tongue) would be frightening in Overture...like, you have to go in to a specific door, with a cramped up hallway leading you there in such a way that you have only a few feet of space on either side...it is dimly lit...and from the grates on the side of the wall, something perfectly camoflauged makes a soft sound, you turn around, and this...arm/tentacle/whatever just moves toward you, then disappears through the grate...

Or, the developers could pull an Alien on us. One of those moments where you think you are perfectly safe, near the end of the game, only to have the horrific thing you were running from be just two feet from you. *shivers*

Or, there could be one specific 'enemy' stalking you throughout the entire game (kind of like a cross between the grey rock worm and the G-Man from Half Life 2, figuratively, of course...Smile), and it could be viewing you from across a hallway, or through a large, dark window, etc....even a pair of beady, dark, red eyes staring at you from out of the black would be pretty spooky, under the right circumstances...

What do you think?

[EDIT] Out of 5 pages of threads, I have yet to see anything with this topic.

You can't kill me if I kill me first!!
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2007, 02:13 AM by thor27.)
04-15-2007, 02:01 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Frightening Ideas... - by TheCollective15 - 04-15-2007, 02:01 AM