Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: "Who" did you feel like
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I was myself in the game from start to finish
49.63%
67 49.63%
I started out acting as myself and then slowing acted more as Daniel as I learned about him.
38.52%
52 38.52%
I acted as Daniel from start to finish.
11.85%
16 11.85%
Total 135 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia
she Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia

this is an interesting question, and one i can give a relatively unique answer to.

inadvertently, i found myself slipping into the role of daniel when he started manifesting physical symptoms of fear that i could relate to. due to a disorder, i often experience similar symptoms (teeth grinding, flashbacks, visual distortion, nightmares etc), so it really felt like i was daniel as i played. in fact, i later joked to my friend that you guys had created the perfect anxiety simulator, right down to the ringing in his ears when his sanity maxes out (on that note: thank you for not including "sanity potions". no, seriously, thank you).

once i figured out what daniel had done, i distanced myself from him a little more. i wasn't sure whether he was a huge coward or an incredibly brave individual for pressing on despite the big scary monsters with abnormally large meat cleaver hands. probably a bit of both. either way, i played mostly as myself through the latter part of the game, because i felt like he'd brought all of this misery upon himself, and i felt a little disgusted by his actions; i couldn't relate to them at all.

i've since played the game multiple times, and during each playthrough i find myself marveling at amnesia's ability to simultaneously make me feel incredibly uncomfortable and very much entertained. frictional's ability to tap into something deeper than a fear of the dark or said scary meat cleaver monsters is true psychological horror to me.

[Image: f59ljn.gif]
03-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia - by she - 03-12-2012, 12:41 AM