Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: "Who" did you feel like
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I was myself in the game from start to finish
49.63%
67 49.63%
I started out acting as myself and then slowing acted more as Daniel as I learned about him.
38.52%
52 38.52%
I acted as Daniel from start to finish.
11.85%
16 11.85%
Total 135 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia

As always, with an FPS game, it's a blend: I'm playing the game, and also playing the character. I tried to relate to Daniel as much as possible.
...but it's easier to relate when you're not doing something at the moment. When you flee, you're not Daniel. When you try to figure out a puzzle, you're not Daniel. When you explore a peaceful environment, you COULD relate to Daniel. When you're reading, you're most often Daniel.
This is why I find Daniels gasps a little annoying: He's distracting me by stealing my fear in the most tense moments, and often he's overreacting too. I'm a pretty stern man, so I think this about every other man, but I often went "WHA-! Wait, who's gasping? Oh, that's right - I'm playing a big Pussy.".

As I played, I didn't trust that the protagonist was Daniel at all. I had seen glimpses that revealed that the endings were named after different characters in the game, before beating the game, and figured that my sanity/actions would determine who I turned out to have been all along, in the end. Maybe it was Alexander who drank the Amnesia potion for some reason. Maybe Daniel tricked him, and tried to make him hate himself by seeing things from his perspective, maybe enough to kill himself. Maybe the final journal entry would have been Daniels suicide note. ...or maybe I was this "Agrippa" character, who sounded like Alexanders girl.

Many key elements to the story, is written in the loading screens, and if I remember correctly, you only have a very limited time to read them, and they change each time too. You also have to puzzle the pieces together. In a way, that's a good thing, but if you lack a character motivation, you can't relate. Some things (like the significance of the innocent girl, or what boy was beating on what boy) didn't fall into place until long after I had beaten the game.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

12-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Research on "who" you felt like in Amnesia - by Cranky Old Man - 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM