Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Could I get some feedback on this please?
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Could I get some feedback on this please?

1:29 - I'm scared of a meat locker? (If you overdo gasps, the protagonist will look like a silly wimp to the player.)
2:03 - This looked really off. A subway station has two parallell starcases because it's highly trafficed (by 100-1000 people) during rush hours. Players may also recognize that they can use these staircases to easily dodge a chasing monster, and even if you don't chase the player in this area, he will still feel that it's safe because of it. If you want a wide staircase, you can alter its size with the scaling handles, but the staircase seems disproportionate to the rest of the passage, because if there's this much traffic, wouldn't they all get stuck trying to squeeze through the door frame at 1:59?
2:58 - I question every time a monster breaks down a door without already knowing that a player is behind it. Do monsters go around breaking doors down just for fun? If so, why hasn't every door been broken down by now? What a coincidence that the player just happen to be in the room that the monster is breaking into.
3:06 - While the monster is scary and strong, if you expect the player to hide next to a shovel, also expect to question why he can't just simply try charging the monster with the shovel, and question the meaning of the hiding mechanic.
4:07 - Cold green-blue light, that seems to emanate from a normal warm-light lantern.
4:36 - The door is obviously locked, but if you're going to scribble a Memento over something, you should also add a short on-screen text about it, so that the player doesn't need to consult his notes to find out what he is currently thinking.
4:50 - This distribution is very odd: You've got one shelf packed full with bottles, and one shelf next to it that seems to be "space for rent".
4:51 - This chandelier is too close to the wine barrel. If the wood doesn't catch on fire, it will get scorch marks, or worse: It will spoil the precious wine.
5:27 - Hold on a minute. How did they manage to squeeze those huge barrels into that room in the first place? Did some carpenters just assenble them there, and then the tank barrels were filled by smaller barrels?

On its own, this map was more eerie than it was scary. It featured one monster and I think a pile of bodies, and the rest was exploration. It's easy to overdo blood decals, and in a wine cellar this may just as easily be spilled wine, but a couple of scary notes might keep the mood. I'd be sadistic enough to put a non-disappearing patrolling monster going back and forth through this rather linear level, to force the player to always have where it is, in mind.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Could I get some feedback on this please? - by Cranky Old Man - 04-01-2012, 05:55 PM