Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

too much convenience in other games...
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: too much convenience in other games...

This thread is ridiculous...

L4D being too convenient. Convenient? How is it bad for a game to be convenient?
I took a closer look on a few definitions of that word:
suitable for one's purpose or needs
suited to personal comfort or to easy performance

Doesn't that just mean it's really well designed? I don't understand the problem.

(05-17-2012, 09:30 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: However, yes, todays gameplay isn't the mindraping games of my youth. They don't hone skills and focus, but dulls them, turning gamers into spoiled, weak idiots. In games of old, we had three "HP", and if we were lucky, we'd get an extra HP after we killed over a thousand enemies.
Do you mean you don't need to focus or hone your skills in L4D? Oh wait! I bet you mean playing solo campaign with bots... Nvm then, judge the game from a mode that is there just to introduce players to the same mechanics that are in multiplayer versus (where the game is meant to be played).
And why would I want to rape my mind on my spare time?

(05-17-2012, 02:53 PM)Prelauncher Wrote: Example, EA

(05-18-2012, 02:24 PM)Oscar House Wrote: Old games were difficult in order to get your money (tailored towards arcade gamers)
New games are easy in order to get your money (tailored towards casual gamers)
Its a design choice if you want to keep the difficulty low. If done well, it gives empowering feeling which can be really satisfying and fun. Now some people might tolerate trial and error more than others and want that increased challenge with the cost of flow and continuity. Or the game could have the difficulty set so well that the player knows he just barely beats the challenge every time.

Hell I don't play something like mass effect (EA example?) to have extremely difficult fights where I have to concentrate and do everything perfectly... Actually even mass effect might have some challenging stuff with the introduction of the multiplayer mode, but I haven't played that thing so dunno.

Derp, EA, casuals, pointless, dumbed down, todays gaming so mainstream, old good times.

Those mainstream games bring more people into playing games whom then might eventually develop a taste for things lil more less "convenient".

Easy to pick up, hard to master?
or
Hard to pick up, hard to master?

sure some games might be:
Easy to pick up, easy to master

for me, I don't always play to be challenged.

05-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: too much convenience in other games... - by Khyrpa - 05-18-2012, 08:55 PM