Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Deus Ex
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Deus Ex

the problem for me is, i run on a system of "gameplay is everything" in the First person Shooter genre, i run the same system in other genres as well, as i came up with games that had pretty much next to No storyline or Voice overs, so they had to have awesome gameplay to keep the players interest, the only genres that didnt really focuss on gameplay and focussed more on story were turn based RPG and Point and Click adventure (i rank frictionals games as a moderniseation of that particular genre), there was the odd exception like the first 2 "Metal Gear" games, but those exceptions were extremely rare.

To me, if the gameplay is bad, then the whole game is bad, you can have the greatest story ever written for a game in that genre, but if the gameplay is bad, i rapidly get A-N-G-R-Y (i mean to the level i have to physically stop myself from throwing the keyboard/controller pad (depends on system) out of the window) and loose all interest.

"Meltdowns" are less then pleaseant, they are a full loss of all mental control to a total hurricane of sheer unstoppable Rage, i hate having them, unfortunatly, people with aspergers, like myself, or other vairents of autism are particularly prone to them, so i like to disasociate myself from anything that causes me to have them as fast as humanly possible, wich sadly, is 90% of modern video games, let alone Deus EX as they mostly all use the "call of duty" gameplay style i find to be unplayable, or focus on online "anti-social" multiplayer, wich is far too hostile for me to cope with, its why i have absolutely reached the end of my tether with the mainstream games industry.

so, as great as the storyline for human revolution probably is (is the noveliseation any good?, that may be a good way for me to experience it) and i know from screenshots the art direction is fantastic, but i just could not enjoy them because the gameplay used mechanics that caused me to Explode!

oh well, i can still enjoy the first 2, its better than a kick in the teeth, Hopefully Deus Ex 4 will come after COD inevitably collapses under its own ineptitude and takes the whole mainstream industry with it in the inevitable repeat of 1983 that is on the way, (just ask any independant industry analyst) so gaming will have gone back to the "pseudo modern" and classic eras, as will be demanded by the surviving gamers and prefered by the surviving developers, shorn free of the demands of greedy american congromolate megapublishers.

perhaps Dishounored may be the savior of Deus Ex, as that uses Resolutly old school gameplay mechanics (no health regen (eat a rat to recover, a sick but cool and unique take on the medpack!), no weapon limit, fixed 'hairs on projectile weapons (crossbow, musket, flintlock pistols, etc), zoom aim on projectiles, etc), hopefully Eidos will realise that it would make a much more natural competitor (story based FPS/RPG/Stealth game for the Singular Player) for Deus ex (and more pertinatly given the "steampunk" setting, Theif) than Call Of Duty is ("dumb as all sin warzone gun w**k" (thanks crosshaw!) with no real "story" just a tutorial for Anti Social Multiplayer), and will revert to the classic mechanics to take on Bethesdas Stelath/Rpg/ Proper Shooter. heres hoping!
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012, 08:54 PM by the dark side.)
08-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Deus Ex - by spukrian - 08-10-2012, 07:01 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by JMFStorm - 08-10-2012, 07:04 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by Adny - 08-10-2012, 07:12 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by the dark side - 08-10-2012, 07:19 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by Bridge - 08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by spukrian - 08-11-2012, 10:56 AM
RE: Deus Ex - by Bridge - 08-11-2012, 10:38 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by spukrian - 08-12-2012, 09:49 AM
RE: Deus Ex - by the dark side - 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM