Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What would be "Proper Jumpscares?"
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
RE: What would be "Proper Jumpscares?"

Simply because of death. When something changes in the surrounding world of the player it's better to give a minute (or less) to the player, so he might just look around just a bit. So when something horrible would happen the player wouldn't be absolutely confused where to run, hide, etc. and would not die.

It's not strictly on the theme of the thread. But death in a game is the most confusing thing for me. I mean right now. Because yes it ruins the immersion. And seems like it's better not to kill player. But there is a paradox. Because at the same time you have to always keep it dangerous to make player cautious, afraid, etc. And as a result it's really confusing - to keep it dangerous, but not to kill. I'd say it's a really hard to make it well balanced - death-possibility and the danger-state-of-mind of the player. I am thinking about that balance all the time and I can confess that I do not know how exactly to keep it well. I feel it, yes of course. But I can't formulate it clear. And it's a drastic difference between thinking and writing down.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM by Alex Ros.)
11-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would be "Proper Jumpscares?" - by Adny - 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM
RE: What would be "Proper Jumpscares?" - by Froge - 08-15-2012, 07:36 PM
RE: What would be "Proper Jumpscares?" - by Adny - 08-15-2012, 08:11 PM
RE: What would be "Proper Jumpscares?" - by Alex Ros - 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM