Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Daniel and Phillip
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
RE: Daniel and Phillip

Here are my views.

Daniel of Amnesia woke up, trapped in a castle, knowing nothing, and having no way out. Not only was he trapped inside, he didn't know what it was. Not to mention he has nyctophobia. Nyctophobia is an intense fear of the dark. He'd be terrified without the lantern, so he keeps it on. If his lantern runs out of oil, he's trapped in the dark. The creatures he encountered are horrific, and as he discovers his past, he finds out he's a murderer and about the people he's inflicted so much pain on.

Philip of Penumbra received a letter from his father whom he had believed to be dead for all his life. In the letter was the information to a bank account in Mayfair, where he found documents. His father instructed him to burn the documents, but his curiosity got the better of him, and he found himself in an abandoned mine shaft before long. He descends into the mine, encountering giant worms, giant spiders, and undead hounds who hunger for his flesh. He makes a companion, Red, and has to incinerate him in a room and is forced to hear his screams and pleas for Philip to turn the machine off but he can't. He descends farther down, and discovers that the Tuurngait, an ancient, sentient virus, has been disturbed from its slumber and infected an entire facility. He is told by the Tuurngait to contact a friend with the events that transpired, and tell them to keep it secret, and then kill himself. He sends the location of the mine to a friend. His final words are "Kill them. Kill them all."

I think that Daniel wins on psychological stress. Philip wins on danger encountered. They both go through enough for a lifetime and the ending in both games leaves the character scarred forever, as a reminder of Daniel's dark past and Philip's sacrifices and helplessness.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Daniel and Phillip - by Froge - 08-20-2012, 06:19 AM
RE: Daniel and Phillip - by Adny - 08-20-2012, 07:06 AM
RE: Daniel and Phillip - by Froge - 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM
RE: Daniel and Phillip - by cantremember - 08-20-2012, 10:12 AM
RE: Daniel and Phillip - by Warp - 08-20-2012, 12:24 PM
RE: Daniel and Phillip - by failedALIAS - 08-20-2012, 11:02 PM
RE: Daniel and Phillip - by Zaffre - 08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
RE: Daniel and Phillip - by Robby - 08-21-2012, 07:12 PM
RE: Daniel and Phillip - by Gaviao - 08-22-2012, 11:23 PM