Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ambiance-Another whopping tip thread.
Chap Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Ambiance-Another whopping tip thread.

I see a lot of people giving tips on what makes a great map and how to be a good level designer. Y'know creating do's and don'ts etc, but whilst there are some ground rules I think a lot of it changes depending on what you're trying to achieve (whether it turns our good or not). The main problem with new mappers is that they'll make a level and be afraid to delete sections or it, alter sections or just complete start again, when they shouldn't be. Okay so you've wasted time on a map but then think how much better your skills will be after that practice.

When i'm mapping I constantly ask myself - What is this space used for? What does the room function as and why is this here?

Whilst you're mapping, if you ask these questions and can answer them with a solid reason, then the ambiance of the map will be ten times better. Player's will recognize logical props in a room and subconsciously have a suspicion of it's purpose.

So to start with, have a plan of what it is you want to build but think about why it's there. In a story-driven game, the environment needs to have some logical explanation as to why it is there. This is probably the one thing that I constantly ask myself about my level designs and if I can answer them it makes me feel much more content with the map.

As for the importance of ambiance, I'm completely on board with it =P I'm actually doing my dissertation this year which I will be discussing the creation of ambiance in game environments =D

[Image: 20643.png]
09-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ambiance-Another whopping tip thread. - by Chap - 09-22-2012, 11:06 PM