Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Most Underrated or Overrated Games/Movies Thread
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: The Most Underrated or Overrated Games/Movies Thread

(10-11-2012, 07:05 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(10-11-2012, 07:00 PM)the dark side Wrote: PS. heres a better explanation of googolplex, he diesnt want FUN, he wants Entertainment, Fun is ultra easy, extrmely dumbed down, over in 2 hours, lowest common denominator garbage. Entertainment is a game that gives a lot of enjoyment, but also tells a great story, gets the player emotionally invovled, gives them a Serious Challenge, requires you to read the manual, and has top notch production quality.
Wait, wait...then how in the world is it that Tetris has none of that, but is still amazing as hell?

i think the fact that tetris requires a lot of brain power and is incredibly challenging is what makes it amazing, i quess i should have made it clearer that puzzle games, like tetris, kind of run on a different set of rules to other genres.

Racing does to, to a certain extent, when i play a racing game, i want stunning scenery and factory Stock Supercars, with thrilling roads/ if there is a story there, i Don't want to know, because its invariably going to involve street gangs, urban slums, and riced hatchbacks, its why i cancelled my Forza Horizon pre order, it has a story, gang lingo is spoken, there is a city (based on denver) on the map (with slum) and you start in a hatchback wich can be tuned, it doesnt have offline quick race, and it has controll hints and all of those are game killers in racing for me (controll hints are instant kill for me in all genres actually. they are patronising. my philosophy is, "Read...the...Manual!"), Story is only a requirment in action, were it is a case of the better the story, the more entertaining the game. But the rest, a High Difficulty level, At least Semi realistic Handling, great production quality, and a massive SP career (wich needs to be bolstered by quick race) are must haves for me to take to a racing game. so the rules of High Challenge and great production quality with a big lifespan transfer to All genres, action, racing, puzzle, horror, what ever.

you see, Fun, too googoplex, and to me, means a game that "holds you hand" with stuff like Quick Time event, flashing hints, showing the controlls on screen, offers no challenge, basically, is a super easy modern day "mainstream casual console game".

now, tetris as we know is the total opposite of that, it is pretty merciless, you need to work out were those blocks need to go at 100 mph, it needs a Lot of brain power, and that makes it entertaining, entertainment needs brains. Fun is the braindead "hold your hand" experience you get with rubbish like call of duty and co or post EA take-over Burnout and co.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 07:27 PM by the dark side.)
10-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Most Underrated or Overrated Games/Movies Thread - by the dark side - 10-11-2012, 07:10 PM