Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2
sasaluvsamnesia7 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2

(07-17-2013, 11:33 AM)Pablodius Wrote: Yo, new to this forum, just a massive Amensia fan who has decided to pass the time waiting for A:AMFP by obsessively thinking up theories on that the storyline will be about. It's really interesting to read through all your ideas about what might feature in the game. Is the titular 'Machine' literally a machine, or is it a metaphor? Did Mandus' kids/family die in Mexico, or are they the kids we see walking around in the trailer?

Anyway, thought I would throw in my thoughts. I reckon somebody close to Mandus died in Mexico; it's hard to think what other 'disaster' could affect him on such a personal level. Either one child, more than one (I have no idea how many he has/had), maybe his wife and kids. Even so; the loss of a family member driving you to create some machine to bring them back to life which feeds on humans? Seems like a longshot, unless Mandus had some kind of pre-existing mental condition and the loss of his family pushed him over the edge.

Makes me think maybe Mandus even caused the death of his family. Perhaps some supernatural force - think the Shadow in the original Amnesia - possessed him, or heck, just a result of irresponsible action/negligence on his behalf. So, wracked with Guilt, Mandus comes back to England with the idea of making a huge machine which consumes pigs to somehow bring his family back to life. Somebody on this forum mentioned the whole concept of 'vitae' - some vital essence that can be extracted from the living to bring back the dead. Perhaps this is the crux of how the machine works.

There's not enough pigs to feed the machine - or maybe their vitae isn't powerful enough - and in his desperation, Mandus starts feeding humans to the machine (we've all heard the quote from Mandus on this subject). Maybe these are adults - or maybe children. Something about that is even more disturbing, and I expect the disappearance of street urchins in industrial London would probably have been a regular occurence. Less questions asked about orphans or homeless kids than adults...

That gives us a potential premise for the game, but doesn't really shed any light on what the actual gameplay itself will focus on. Imagine the machine did work, but not as Mandus expected. His family did come back to life, but are not fully human - the vitae of the pigs and humans combined has turned them in to some kind of half-human, half-swine abomination. The central plot of the game could be Mandus realising what a terrible mistake he has made, trying to kill his family again so they can rest in peace. The reason I like this idea is that there could be a limited number of distinct enemies that we feel some connection to - not just faceless/nameless hordes that mean nothing to us. Think Justine, instead of The Dark Descent.

All of this is just wild speculation and I am probably way off the mark, but I'm interested to see you guys pick apart my theories and submit your own.

Welcome to the forum. Previously I've posted that I hope Mandus is actually not a horrible person, as Daniel and Justine both turned out to be, in their own horrific ways. So many of us are so hypnotized by these poems and new images, and on the subject of Mandu's supposed children that we fail to remember that there is another character we've already heard but have barely recognized. I am of course, talking about the professor, whom we hear at the end of the second trailer.

What if Mandus is betrayed by a close friend? What if instead of giving himself the amnesia in some way, he is poisoned by said friend? I think that'd be a refreshing turn around, and a very interesting twist. According to the game description, he is out of it for a very long time before reopening his eyes. Things could've gone to Hell while he was unconscious, I believe.

What if we are all blaming the wrong person right off the bat?

I have a theory after hearing the lines at the end of the trailer. The professor states: "But surely there is not enough pigs in all of London to feed the appetite of such a machine?" Then Mandus adds, "That all really depends professor on what one considers to be a pig?"

Everyone speculates Mandus means humans, but what if Mandus isn't even considering humans? What if his expedition is to find for him something to help make his machine run in some other way? I really am excited to know why he went to Mexico. It's going to be great! Big Grin

I also am not a fan of the vitae theory, or anything at all to do with what made the first Amnesia game. The shadow, etc... That was Daniel's story, and this one is Mandus's, and I do hope that it is very much different.

Well Huh so many questions left unanswered. I have a feeling I may be wrong about Mandus being a good guy, but one can hope, I suppose. Heart

(07-18-2013, 06:05 AM)Darkluminoo Wrote: Is there a thread for fan art? If there is please link it

--

I think there may be. I've not seen much fan art for the game yet, though. Probably a lot will 'rise' one the game has.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2013, 10:31 AM by sasaluvsamnesia7.)
07-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Machine for Pigs no inventory? - by Yuhaney - 05-03-2013, 10:59 PM
RE: Machine for Pigs no inventory? - by Ossie - 05-03-2013, 11:02 PM
RE: Machine for Pigs no inventory? - by Tiger - 05-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Why? - by Boogaloo - 07-17-2013, 03:14 AM
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - by sasaluvsamnesia7 - 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Machine for Pigs no inventory? - by Capt.TNTXx - 05-03-2013, 10:05 PM
RE: Machine for Pigs no inventory? - by Tiger - 05-03-2013, 10:07 PM
RE: Machine for Pigs no inventory? - by Diz - 05-03-2013, 10:11 PM
RE: Machine for Pigs no inventory? - by WALP - 05-03-2013, 10:39 PM
RE: Machine for Pigs no inventory? - by Tiger - 05-03-2013, 10:48 PM
RE: Machine for Pigs no inventory? - by felixmole - 05-03-2013, 10:56 PM
A Machine for Pigs Website Update - by finScript - 05-09-2013, 11:39 AM
The images on aamfp.com - by eskrow - 05-22-2013, 02:54 AM
RE: The images on aamfp.com - by PutraenusAlivius - 05-22-2013, 02:57 AM
RE: The images on aamfp.com - by eskrow - 05-22-2013, 03:50 AM
RE: The images on aamfp.com - by Kman - 05-22-2013, 04:44 AM
Your AAMFP dream - by AdamD - 05-22-2013, 07:40 AM