Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all?
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all?

All I consider art to be is something that makes the person experiencing it feel some sort of emotion that was made with a creative intent

There aren't objective criteria for what makes art good and bad, because art is subjective to who's experiencing it. It varies from person to person, for you it obviously depends on how technically well written it is but for someone else it might be how energetic and fun it is and for someone else it could be how well certain instruments are played or how good the vocal are. Pretty much any artistic work can be good for any reason, because it's up to the person experiencing it to decide what makes it good to them. Even with that in mind having one definition for any form of art is pigeonholing it and is not only going to end up excluding a lot of stuff but it's going to stifle any forms of advancement or creativity.

I know very little about classical, but from the few compositions I have heard there most definitely has been a lot of experimentation with the genre past few years with incorporating elements from other genres like industrial and ambient to give the genre a fresh feel. If the only thing a classical composer set out to accomplish when they're writing a piece is to make it have depth and complexity and to have the melodies be pleasant, then a lot of experimentation and creativity that could be applied to the genre would be lost. For example, stuff like this would have never been created:

Posting Freak
05-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all? - by Kman - 05-12-2013, 05:21 AM