Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Weird and Wonderful World of Wikipedia
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: The Weird and Wonderful World of Wikipedia

It is indeed complicated, mainly because this case has no precedent (that I know of anyway). Do you know if the video shows the moment of death? Because I think the only way to really prove whether it was consensual to the very end or not is through that video, and still as evidence it is complete garbage because not only was it taken by the perpetrator (opportunity to tamper with the evidence), it can also be interpreted both ways as you mentioned. Really, I don't even want to discuss the legality of this case anymore. On paper, the prosecution will always win. It wasn't self defense and it was clearly premeditated due to the fact that he freaking advertised it online (or in the paper? I forget). Worse yet, even if the victim was so depressed he wanted to die but couldn't bring himself to suicide, there are no medical records (at least I don't think there are) to prove any psychological disturbance or physical pain, so there is no way to prove it was euthanasia (not necessarily saying it was, just that if that was the case it's impossible to infer that from the evidence). So any way you look at it, it's murder cold and simple.

Anyway, what a case. I actually respect the guy to a very small degree for being so forthright about it and showing so much remorse for what he did. Not saying anyone should look up to him or anything, that kind of shit doesn't happen by accident; he is clearly disturbed. I'm just speechless, this is so weird. I think the Wikipedia article for consensual homicide sums it up best:

Quote:In 1996 a Maryland entrepreneur named Sharon Lopatka arranged for her own torture and strangulation over the Internet. In 2001 German Armin Meiwes was found to have murdered and cannibalized a willing victim he found over the internet. These two cases attracted considerable media attention. Beyond their lurid sexual details, both cases introduce paradoxes about the respective responsibility of the parties, the legal differences between consensual homicide and suicide.

Paradox indeed. I'm actually curious whether a provably sane victim who signs an affidavit confirming he wants to be killed with a notary public present can in some way be legally murdered. I'm sure it's close to impossible in most places, but should it? I'm not arguing the merits of homicide or anything, but it is a hole in the legal system.
05-26-2013, 02:24 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Weird and Wonderful World of Wikipedia - by Bridge - 05-26-2013, 02:24 AM