Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can the sexism in these types of games stop?
Placeable Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop?

(09-11-2013, 07:03 PM)Tombcool Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 06:58 PM)felixmole Wrote: =
Only the first-person horror games? Far from it, many mainstream games suffer that problem.

Yeah, you are right, doesn't anyone remember the fiasco that started with the game, Remember Me?

The fact the publishers did not want to publish it because it had a female protagonist and they thought it was not going to do well because of that?

Again, my point is proven about the industry.

And in case anyone is wondering, I am not a female, I am a male.

Your point is not "proven" it is a fact. It is well known that the gaming industry is mostly dominated by males. And yes most games have a male protagonist but there are still a lot of games out there with a female protagonist. Heck just look at the vast majority of RPG games where you create your own character, gender selection is common.

But to be fair focusing on the gaming industry is to avoid the real issue. Discrimination is still a big problem around the world but its getting better. And I am sure the gaming industry will change in time as well. And I would even go so far as saying it is getting better, even more so than 10 years ago. A lot of companies are showing interest in the female audience and, unlike popular opinion, a lot of women actually do enjoy playing video games as much as men. So why not? If there is $$$ to be made and there is a target group for it then it will most likely be made.

Personally I don't care either way. A female protagonist works as well as a male one. As long as the actual game is good. Then we can argue that certain genres of gaming lack a female lead more so than others. But perhaps that would picking straws.

But if you want to play Survival Horror/Horror games with female leads here's a few examples of games for the last decade:

* Resident Evil 5 (1 female playable character)
* Resident Evil 6 (3 campaigns, 2 female characters to play)
* Gone Home (More of a mystery game but has a female lead, great game btw)
* Obscure 1 & 2
* Slenderman The Arrival
* The Path (All female leads)
* Amy
* Alice: Madness Returns
* Hydrophobia

These are just a few from the top of my head. I am sure there are plenty more. And these are just horror games. If you really look there are a lot of games with female protagonists. Not just horror.

If anything Horror and Adventure Games do have a lot of female leads in their games.
09-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop? - by Placeable - 09-11-2013, 07:33 PM