Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can the sexism in these types of games stop?
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop?

(09-11-2013, 08:44 PM)RigorM Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 06:55 PM)Tombcool Wrote: Do none of you find it wrong that there hundreds of video games out there with male playable characters and practically only three or four with female playable characters? And the fact that has gotten worse in the past few years....

I can see your point, but I don't really think it has anything to do with sexism. It's just that developers tend to create main characters that are of the same gender as they are. Most people can relate better to the motivations of a character that's the same sex. I'm a 42 year old man and would find it a bit difficult to portray a 25 year old female character. I couldn't even do that when I was 25.

I honestly think that is a a weak argument; as a woman I have absolutely no problem creating male characters, I've been creating tons of them since I was a kid. I personally think this is simply because we are exposed to male characters much more often than female ones.

There is also not that much of a difference between men and women. Personality is the number 1 thing that makes people different. If you, the possessor of only one personality of many, are able to depict a variety of personalities, you are probably more than able to depict the relatively insignificant quirks that come with gender.

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 01:12 AM by MyRedNeptune.)
09-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop? - by MyRedNeptune - 09-11-2013, 09:19 PM