Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can the sexism in these types of games stop?
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop?

(09-12-2013, 06:29 AM)alyssak Wrote: Personally I really don't care one way or another if the main character is male or female, heck they could be a fish person for all I care as long as they are well developed. (Although more often then not when given the choice I will choose a male character over a female, because female characters are often to underdressed for my tastes but that has nothing to do with this topic)
I have to say though I would like to see female monsters in one of frictionalgames's games. Of course the current ones are very freaky it just might be a nice change to slip in one every now and then, but if that never happens it's no biggy, there have been other games that have done it well and I would love to see FG's interpretation of a scary female monster.

I'd say that a feminine monster, when not exploited for sex appeal, comes across as more disturbing and repulsive in a horror story because of its alienating nature to male audiences. We are so accustomed to seeing sexless or presumed-male monstrosities that seeing what appears to be a woman engaged in monstrous acts is a shock because of its rarity. I'm not saying that men are the only consumers of horror media, not at all, but rather that many games seem to be developed for the male perspective.

After all, how many female villains or monsters can you name that are both clearly feminine AND not 'sexy'?
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 06:35 AM by Alardem.)
09-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop? - by Alardem - 09-12-2013, 06:35 AM