Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can the sexism in these types of games stop?
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop?

(09-12-2013, 06:49 AM)alyssak Wrote: Isn't that the point though? To do the unexpected, the as you say "disturbing and repulsive" The one female monster that comes to mind is the witch in Left 4 Dead. While I have never played the game I've seen it played and she is pretty dang creepy without relying on sex appeal for make her a female.

I seems I took to long with that post and others beat me to it. Smile

The problem with that and Killing Floor is that they're not at all horror games - they're a fun excuse to blow up things with friends and have a laugh. I do actually love the design of L4D's Special Infected (particularly the Spitter and her monstrously long neck), but dread and horror are not what come to mind when I'm busy blowing up dozens of grey people.

Regardless, there's plenty of ways to use female characters both as protagonists and antagonists in horror games without acting like a pervert. At the very least, if you're going to have nudity, make it equal-opportunity.

Actually, what's interesting about Frictional's games and their imitators is that they flip the notion of the male action hero in a horror game and reduce them to scared, helpless dudes in distress. It'd be nice to have a female protagonist who'd be the opposite of these men. Resident Evil comes close, but it hasn't been a horror franchise for a long time and some of its women are dressed rather impractically (Ada Wong comes to mind.)
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 06:58 AM by Alardem.)
09-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop? - by Alardem - 09-12-2013, 06:54 AM