Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can the sexism in these types of games stop?
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop?

(09-12-2013, 08:59 AM)Alardem Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 08:54 AM)Delirium92 Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 08:04 AM)Kman Wrote: sure is anita sarkeesian in here

I was thinking the exact same thing.

The whole attitude of: 'Why doesn't the gaming industry pander to my gaming preferences?' With that really entitled attitude. I also hate the way she removes cutscenes from their context to attempt to prove her erroneous point.

Seems like projection. She's a chick, not a dude. Quite a lot of women play games - she's just pointing out ways in which games can change in future to be less alienating to a large number of human beings (and help devs sell more copies, if you care about that kinda thing.)

I won't say I'm surprised by this defensiveness, but I am bored. Surely it's easy for this harmless woman to just make a bunch of sensible observations without assuming that she wants all men to be fed into a grinder. (lol)

Her attitude towards the gaming industry which is predominantly male isn't harmless; she uses clever words and removes game footage of its context to prove a point and she can seem rather convincing to a person who isn't familiar with the games she's talking about. She overuses and misuses the word misogyny and rather than looking at REAL issues she concerns herself with games - things we play to pass time or to escape reality. Her idea that most game protagonists are male and according to her that means misogyny and sexism is about as ridiculous as me saying: 'Hey why is every game character a different person? I want to play as me!'

I'm obviously not a "feminist" in the way Anita is, or a lot of the younger women are, I'd rather humanist as they're human issues - excluding the gaming protagonist thing because seriously games are just games and I have not witnessed any hidden messages of promoting hatred towards women in any games that I have played. I do agree that this is a thread better for the off topic area though.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 09:19 AM by Tesseract.)
09-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can the sexism in these types of games stop? - by Tesseract - 09-12-2013, 09:12 AM