Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Spoiler Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert*
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert*

(11-15-2013, 07:33 AM)Alardem Wrote: Mandus' logic is flawed and unsound. Why is this a problem?

Because it renders him pointless as a character.

Insanity is a universal foolproof hand wave device that can be used to justify any action the character commits, ever. It also has zero basis in reality, because there is no such thing in real life.

A direct consequence of this is the utter elimination of any sort of structure that your character may have otherwise had. Madness means anything is possible, right?

If you want your characters to be meaningful, their thoughts and actions must form an interwoven pattern of cause and consequence. Otherwise they will come across as inconsistent and shallow. Our ability to see this pattern is dependent on our perception of the limitations and rules that govern the actions of the character and form their personality - limitations that insanity effectively gets rid of.

If at any point you have to resort to lunacy as an explanation, you're dealing with a poorly written character. Same thing goes for being an alien, too (I'm looking at you, Alexander of Brennenburg >.>).

From what I've seen, AAMFP gives little to no material to connect the glaring gaps between death of wife and mass murder. This is why, in my opinion, AAMFP's plot sucks.

^(;,;)^
11-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - by MyRedNeptune - 11-18-2013, 08:52 PM
The birth of a new century - by Integria - 09-27-2013, 01:32 AM