Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Spoiler Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert*
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert*

(11-19-2013, 03:31 AM)Alardem Wrote: I'm ultimately not sure how 'rational' evil acts need to be. I usually hate to invoke Godwin's Law, but as Mandus is quite literally a genocidal maniac it's fair here to consider how Nazi ideology and its perversion of 'science' (eugenics) works. Or, hell, just how the prevailing social attitudes of the time could be taken to their "logical" extreme.

I'd like a moment to expand on this a little bit, because this isn't altogether a single parallel.

In WWII, Hitler had camps and ghettos for Jews, and tried to fool the world into believing he was doing good by them (should sound familiar). Mandus's dinner parties parallel Hitler's Theresienstadt, which was referred to as 'the Paradise Ghetto.' Here, a faux community of Jews was established: with 'Elders' (prominent Jews forced into leadership positions), theaters, and even a 'cafe.' At almost random times, Jews were selected would be 'transported' out of the 'community', you can assume their fate.
The SS ensured that, by all outside appearances, this community looked like a haven in the midst of the war, they even allowed a neutral Red Cross staff inspect it, sweeping all the abuse, overcrowding, unsanitary conditions, and starvation level rations under the rug.
In terms of putting on a show to disguise an atrocity, Mandus seems to prefigure Hitler in a very haunting way.
Just thought that this would be interesting, intentional or not.
Carry on.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 09:30 AM by VaeVictis.)
11-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - by VaeVictis - 11-20-2013, 09:16 AM
The birth of a new century - by Integria - 09-27-2013, 01:32 AM