Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
Is A Machine For Pigs best suited to a 'mature' audience?
sailornaruto39 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Is A Machine For Pigs best suited to a 'mature' audience?

(09-17-2013, 05:19 AM)Nyarlathotep Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 05:01 AM)sailornaruto39 Wrote: Really? Where did you get that from? I'm just wondering so I could have a point of reference. Because if that's the case, that would be really weird.

If that's what They've wanted all a long Why wasn't TDD like MFP in the first place?

Here's the image that shows at the start of The Dark Descent, the first time you launch it. Which I think makes their intentions clear.

I don't know the details of why the resource mechanics and such were left in. But my guess is that it's just leftover design ideas that they didn't feel comfortable removing. Especially due to how close they were to not releasing the game at all. In a retrospective, Thomas Grip talked about the shallowness of TDD being a regret. In how he wants their games to push deeper and more thought provoking stories and themes.

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/ and here's where they talk about all of this stuff. I can't name which entries right off hand. But I remember reading the information clearly enough. Regarding their thoughts on The Chinese Room's work, etc.

They want the player to be immersed in the world and story. I would like to think gameplay would affect that.

I feel they left the game mech in TDD because he believed

" The core of the game should not be about reading or watching cutscenes, it should be about playing."

"First, players must feel as though they are an active part of the story and not just an observer"

The LP'er Harshlycritical felt like an observer not a participant, because of how linear the game was and how it lacked in the interactivity department.

So I'm not sure how MR.Grip would want devs that breaks a rules for good story telling. I looked in the blogs and I don't see even the mention of MFP. There were a few passive mentiones of Dear Ester that seemed to imply that it isn't a very interactive game.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 05:51 AM by sailornaruto39.)
09-17-2013, 05:42 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is A Machine For Pigs best suited to a 'mature' audience? - by sailornaruto39 - 09-17-2013, 05:42 AM