Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
My main problem with AMFP: Observer vs. Participator
Jim Offline

Threads: 3
RE: My main problem with AMFP: Observer vs. Participator

I'm still processing AMFP, so I'm not 100% sure on how I feel yet, but I agree with most of the OP. I don't think of the game as narcissistic or self-indulgent though. I know you said you weren't sure what the right terms were, but I think I know what you're getting at.

The game has an interesting story to tell, that much is for sure. There are a lot of compelling elements here, lots of compelling scenery (the decontamination chambers? *swoon*), lots of possibilities for a riveting story. The problem is the way it all plays out. It really lacks that sense of... I think the word I'm looking for is "agency". There weren't any real "hubs" in the game, I sleepwalked through all of the simple drag-and-drop puzzles, and the story was vague as hell. I agree, it really felt like you were being forced to watch things happen. AMFP is so dissonant, it feels like communication between you and the game is seriously throttled; which makes it feel like AMFP doesn't care about you, when really it's just a victim of its own origins.

I knew the ride was going to be a little bumpy. Things always are when a project shifts focus like AMFP did. This was supposed to be an Amnesia/Dear Esther hybrid, and the decision to shift back into the Amnesia spectrum didn't exactly come in early development. At least, that's how I understand the situation to be.

TLDR: Is this the Amnesia we wanted? Absolutely not. Was I surprised by it? Not at all. Why frictional decided to outsource Amnesia after just one game, I don't think I'll ever understand, but as long as they're making something, I'm sure it will be good.

Edit: Never finished my thought in the second paragraph. Tongue Fixed.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 10:46 PM by Jim.)
09-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: My main problem with AMFP: Observer vs. Participator - by Jim - 09-16-2013, 10:40 PM