Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Would AAMFP be better if it would NOT be considered a game, like Dear Esther?
zico Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Would AAMFP be better if it would NOT be considered a game, like Dear Esther?

Would I think it would be better if it wasn't considered a game? No.

Because it all depends on the definition.

I am tempted to say that if holing a lantern can be compared to holding a gun, it's as much of a game as 90% of the FPS games on the market. But I won't say that cause it way too trivial.

It depends on the definition of the word game.

Pong was all about moving a paddle. Space invaders was about moving a ship and pushing a button. So AMFP has most definitely a more sophisticated Gameplay. But also this is way too trivial. It's just not easy to compare these things in the right mind.

Games evolve. This evolution usually follows rules. Getting more complex, advanced and such. But I personally have to consider we deal with an Indie game. These games evolve differently since they break rules established by the big titles. Those titles which can only go in one direction to NEVER engage the situation where their customers getting something else they expect. This is why I cherish Indie games - for a different set of reasons as other titles out there.

They go in other directions, grow a different branch on the evolution-tree. And what's even more interesting is - like AMFP showed: They aren't afraid to break their own rules. And it's interesting and exciting to observe where those games go even tho it comes with the danger of getting something you may not like. I still haven't played enough of AMFP to KNOW if I will like it in general or how I'll like it in relation to TDD.

What I do like is the heavy focus on storytelling. I had a bad habit choosing games in the past where things like story and narration were toned down immensely as a compromise to satisfy elements like Coop gameplay or Multiplayer in general. Three letters and a number: F3AR.
I didn't like that. My expectations shaped by the experience with the predecessors made me disappointed. Sounds familiar?

But coming back to the topic, I DO like that AMFP focuses on storytelling so much. Everything else is up to if this new set of rules will be able to leave me satisfied in the end. I'm eager to find out. But going down that road is exciting nonetheless - to see WHAT CR did. And I am happy there are guys exploring these new possibilities.

And now to shortly touch the topic of "Is it Amnesia or not?":
I think there are more things connecting AMFP to TDD than there is distance between them. I guess if it would not be called "Amnesia" the arguments would rather be like: "This is a toned down Amnesia ripoff." instead of "This is a toned down Amnesia."
So personally I am rather happy this game was placed in the same universe.
09-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would AAMFP be better if it would NOT be considered a game, like Dear Esther? - by zico - 09-14-2013, 12:49 PM