Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Philosophical SciFi in literature
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Philosophical SciFi in literature

Ahhhhhhh psychological sci fi! Good idea for a thread

Blade runner always gets a shout out, or rather Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep to use its more Dick-ian name Smile

My favourite Lem has to be Solaris, such a fantastic book, such a strong sense of mystery & the unknown that I probably think it's one of the scarier books I've read. One of only 2 Sci Fi novels that I've read that have *really* done alien aliens, incomprehensible other life forms. I love both of the films too, for different reasons, Soderbergs one had fantastic music & visual presentation, Tarkovski's was much more psycological.

Less on the psychological, but Olaf Stapledon's Last and First Men was another fantastic one, basically a 'history of the future', going through many future ages of Man. This was the other book to do fantastic alien's, which had a fascinating culture resulting from their origins & biological makeup

Another for Phillip K Dick would be 'Eye in the Sky' & 'Flow My Tears, The Policemen Said', both of which are deeply confusing and unforunately both of which aren't as good in the latter parts, but the rest was so excallent that it was worth it.

Finally Arthur C Clarke's 'The City and the Stars', fantastic sci-fi adventure book but also a really interesting look at a potential future society & culture for humanity

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013, 10:21 PM by Adrianis.)
09-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Philosophical SciFi in literature - by DavidS - 09-26-2013, 05:13 PM
RE: Philosophical SciFi in literature - by Acies - 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM
RE: Philosophical SciFi in literature - by Draug - 09-26-2013, 08:15 PM
RE: Philosophical SciFi in literature - by Bridge - 09-26-2013, 11:57 PM
RE: Philosophical SciFi in literature - by Froge - 09-27-2013, 03:15 AM
RE: Philosophical SciFi in literature - by Adrianis - 09-27-2013, 02:57 PM
RE: Philosophical SciFi in literature - by Froge - 09-27-2013, 03:36 PM