Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.

(04-23-2014, 02:47 PM)Alardem Wrote: [Insert obligatory statement about how hyperpowerful muscleman does not equal half-naked skinny lady.]

By all means insert it.

Quote:Tactful much? Calling me retarded and 'feeling sorry' for me is not the best way to debate.

No, that's not what I said. I called the synopses retarded, as in if I read them I would become suspicious of the quality of the work in question. I said I felt sorry for people who cannot appreciate aesthetics - that's not the same thing as me saying I pity you specifically.

Quote:You "believe in nothing". Yet you've put some effort into being a contrarian. I see a disconnect here.

I certainly believe in a lot of things depending on how you define "believe." If "contrarian" is the name you give to someone that rejects fallacious reasoning then so be it, a contrarian I am.

@Acies:
That's all true, of course, though I object to the notion that art can't be precise. It doesn't need to be, but there are many painters that do in fact think in exact dimensions, exact angles and exact colors. Maybe not counting strokes though because that is pointless. Otherwise, people do of course "inherit" values but it's the duty of any discerning individual to constantly question said values. I don't have the same values I was "told" I should have, though there may be some overlap. In my case it has mostly been a case of coming to a conclusion about what values I think are virtuous through trial and error or rational examination. I used to be quite illogically counter-culture and still to some extent am but have receded gradually as I discovered that certain views are too impractical to be tenable.

(04-23-2014, 03:00 PM)Acies Wrote: Would wuthering heights be the exact same book if written by a man? Would GTA be the exact same game if made by a company solely consisting of women?

Let me ask you, is there anything particularly that screams "woman" about the Harry Potter series? The protagonist is male and it has the whole "smurfette principle" that feminists like to point to and yet is, lo and behold, written by a woman. I don't notice, because it's not written with a shallow agenda in mind. The females are not given artificially inflated importance and it's not preachy in a feminist way. It's just a book. It's debatable whether it's good, I personally find it to be enjoyable but not exactly great. The fact that a woman wrote it has no bearing on the work.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM by Bridge.)
04-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-23-2014, 01:48 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Bridge - 04-23-2014, 03:08 PM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 12:59 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Nice - 04-23-2014, 02:08 PM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Nice - 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 01:38 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 08:41 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-26-2014, 02:50 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-27-2014, 09:36 AM