Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Realism vs Satisfaction in Narrative/Storytelling?
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Realism vs Satisfaction in Narrative/Storytelling?

I had a conversation with a friend today who said he didn't like The Last of Us's lack of realism. I couldn't help but laugh, after listening to him explain himself, he actually did give me a valid but very subjective opinion that to me is very picky, and could be considered elitist.

He explained that he disliked the Clickers and the other enemies in the game because it wasn't 'Realistic'. He told me that he wished that they were like regular zombies. In other words he was saying he wanted them to be Romero's traditional version of a zombie. He also mentioned 28 Days/Weeks Later which technically aren't zombies... So he has a preference for zombies that to me personally is pretty boring as it would mean they're all the same. It goes against what I praise in imagination and variety.

But this is related to your question because he kept telling me his preference was 'Realistic' and that anything else was 'Unrealistic'. I couldn't help but facepalm. When it comes to character design in a fictional narrative such as Last Of Us, how can you call any other piece of FICTION more realistic than the other.

To break it down, he was claiming Romero's Zombie was more realistic than the Last Of Us' enemies. How can someone think that when both are as fictional as the other that require just as much suspension of belief to appreciate in the first place.

Anyways, I think to answer your question... Suspension of belief is different for everyone and that there can be a difference between what is actually possible proven by science and physics, and what isn't. I get more put off by action films that show things happening which are totally impossible than when watching a piece of fiction such as Star Wars where people are dog fighting in space. I also find it interesting how to me personally, hearing sounds and explosions in space seems actually OK to me and i'll let that slide, when morally I know that its bullshit because of the vacuum. Ah well, double standards. I suppose thats an example of Satisfaction>Realism because sounds are attractive. But then again, Realism can be the key to Satisfaction and lack of Realism can be the cause of less Satisfaction. Woooah dude.

[Image: luv.gif]
09-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realism vs Satisfaction in Narrative/Storytelling? - by Wooderson - 09-15-2014, 11:53 PM