Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Realism vs Satisfaction in Narrative/Storytelling?
AGP Offline

Threads: 45
RE: Realism vs Satisfaction in Narrative/Storytelling?

It depends on how you wish the story to be told when it comes to satisfaction vs realism. I've always felt though that too much realism can drive a viewer away. Like last night, I watched "Filth" on Netflix, and while the story was intriguing and the concept mindblowing, the amount of footage containing characters snorting coke and having sex/masturbating nearly got me to stop the movie numerous times. Realistic, yes, as people do these things in real life, but it wasn't really necessary.

But continuing on: I find the term "realistic" to be, ironically, very subjective, because what we view as realistic will depend on our previous exposure to other environments.

And a story is generally not meant to be for viewer entertainment, when you really get down to it. Writers/creators just choose to share them with us and we either enjoy them or dislike them.

Things designed especially for mass audiences usually come out like "Frozen". While they may be entertaining for some, there's just kind of a lack of personality as it was meant to be for so many and not really knowing who, as opposed to maybe you creating something for yourself and sharing and enjoying it with like-minded individuals.

09-23-2014, 01:07 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realism vs Satisfaction in Narrative/Storytelling? - by AGP - 09-23-2014, 01:07 AM