Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How much violence is OK for a video game?
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: How much violence is OK for a video game?

Here is my personal take on the game:

From an objective standpoint on its "right to exist", I would say this game has every proper right to exist. Games, and movies with all sorts of varying content exist with some having probably more disturbing content than this has. It does not matter if this may not be very good, or may be tasteless. As long as it is not blatantly illegal, and the seller does not wish to take it down (Which they can do if they want to) then it can by all means be sold and bought to those who wish to do it.

Moving on though, I want to touch on WHY people think this is offensive. Reflect on this notion for a few seconds: Don't you think that it isn't the smallest strange why THIS game in particular invokes such a response in us when other games like GTA 5, Mortal Kombat, FEAR, etc have not?

Sure it may just be human nature pushing us to be hypocrites, but I don't believe that such a different mental reaction can come without a real reason. Take this for example: If you changed all the innocent civilians to zombies then I think MUCH MUCH more people would enjoy it without calling out on anything. If that's the case then I think the source of offense really does come from the killing of civilians.

My personal take on why it appears to be so tasteless is a slight more than the fact that you are killing civilians in the trailer. I'll compare it to the GTA series for this. Did you ever wonder why you had no problem shooting them in that game:

GTA: They are generally very comical, and not taken seriously. The degree to which the civilians react to their own demise is not all that personal, or up-close either.

Hatred: At least from the trailer, the game treats the deaths, and fear of the civilians MUCH more seriously (As in darker). You have people literally crying, and begging for mercy in a way that is never seen in the more light-hearted GTA and the player can go ahead and kill them anyways.

So the reason I think this has turned out offensive for many people is that while you are doing the same thing that you do in GTA it is much much darker, and shock inducing.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
12-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much violence is OK for a video game? - by Kreekakon - 12-17-2014, 07:44 PM