The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Vintage FPS games
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19
Vintage FPS games

What are your favourite old FPS games?

I used to play a lot of Doom back in the days. So of course, the Doom games and also other games using the Doom engine are dear to my heart. I especially like Strife. It´s a great game, one of the earliest FPS/RPG hybrids. Strife is quite easily one of the best FPSs ever made. The Doom engine games have an active community, still producing new levels, and source ports, so you can play on modern machines with higher resolution and other new features...

The Build engine was quite popular among game developers - around 14 (or maybe even more than that) games were made with it! Sadly, most of those games suck... the two most popular games, Duke Nukem 3d and Shadow Warrior are still a bit active and at least there´s work done on source ports, but I´m not that much into DN3d or SW... However, Blood is a Build engine game that I like very much. It´s also one of the best FPS out there ever (tied with Strife of course). Blood probably has the most cruel and funny weapons in a game, ever. And the disgusting enemies... The best part about Blood though, is probably the atmosphere that the music and sound effects create.

Another old favourite is Dark Forces - the first Star Wars FPS. What was great about this game was that it was more intelligent than other FPS. The story was better integrated, you always had a clear objective during a mission! Plus it´s Star Wars, too. Dark Forces has a small community, and although it´s not as active as it used to be, there seems to be work done to get Dark Forces ported to newer machines.

And I must also mention the Marathon trilogy. These games are great. The story of these games is immense and the way that it is told is great. I mean, you can sit and analyze the story from different points of view, discuss with other people and get new perspectives etc. The gamesplay is a bit slower than other games, more like Half-Life than Doom. Anyways, the Marathon games used to be only for Macintosh, but they have ported them to Windows... What´s more, they are all freeware! You can download them legally without paying for them.

I didn´t make this a poll, would be too many options in it...
07-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Vintage FPS games - by spukrian - 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM