Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra series, underrated and overlooked ?
Tayrtahn Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Penumbra series, underrated and overlooked ?

Penumbra would probably be best categorized as a "horror adventure". While the horror genre is gaining some popularity*, the adventure genre hasn't recovered from its collapse in the mid- to late-90's. Telltale Games has done a pretty good job of reviving the genre, and companies like Frictional Games are bringing new life into it by maintaining the essence of the genre while defying the stale conventions that killed it. The key elements of exploration, discovery, and puzzle solving are all there, and the old "try every item with every other item" pattern has been dropped. Nice!

More to the point, the Penumbra series is definitely overlooked. I only found it due to being very bored during the Steam sale and taking a chance on it from what I saw. I've shown it to numerous friends, and so far no one has heard of it before I show it to them. One was drawn in and scared by Overture enough that he refused to continue playing after entering the hatch into the mine - and that's on my little laptop's screen with built-in speakers!

Penumbra is for people who really want to be scared by their horror games, and not just entertained by shooting zombies. Of course, that does somewhat limit the number of people who will give it a try. It's a bit bungee jumping - almost everyone is scared of heights to some degree, but there are some people who love the rush of facing that fear head-on. Penumbra takes your fears of the unknown, darkness, and more and makes you face them directly. Quite the rush!

For the record, I have a bit of a fear of spiders (which I realize is illogical, but that's how phobias work). Crawling through the narrow tunnels, hearing skittering noises, and seeing the webs in the corners was one of the most terrifying things I've ever experienced in a game. Actually encountering the spiders for the first time sent me flying out of my seat and I had to wait until the next night before continuing on. And that's exactly the experience I was looking for when I bought these games. Smile

*Arguably, the recent rise in popularity of "horror" has been driven more by action than actual horror. Left 4 Dead, Killing Floor, Resident Evil 5, and so on... good games, but not very scary, as has been discussed elsewhere in this forum.
04-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Penumbra series, underrated and overlooked ? - by Tayrtahn - 04-21-2010, 05:40 PM