Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which of these answers describes best how you felt about SOMA's monsters?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Not scary at all and very easy to get past.
0%
0 0%
Just an annoyance.
3.93%
12 3.93%
A bit scary, but mostly annoying.
19.34%
59 19.34%
A bit scary and interesting to encounter
23.93%
73 23.93%
Very scary, but also a bit annoying
32.46%
99 32.46%
Very scary and interesting to encounter.
20.33%
62 20.33%
Total 305 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters
VirtuallyJesse Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Official Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters

The sections in which I experienced annoyance were in areas that also included story elements. It felt frustrating wanting to find/read notes or interact with a computer while attempting to hide from a monster at the same time. The Tau monster was the peak of my frustration, and the only time I got angry with the game, due to the reason mentioned above.

From a player perspective it felt rewarding to explore and discover notes. Then certain monster sections happen and prevent you from freely doing so - a hindering feeling as a player for sure. However, aside from the Tau encounter I found it easy enough to explore while hiding at the same time. There definitely is a fine line between too much freedom (otherwise - it's not horror!) & frustration. (go away already! I want to see whats over there!!)

It wasn't until later, after watching other individuals play SOMA, that I realized monsters had certain attributes; ex. can't look at the monster, this monster is blind, etc. Perhaps these could have been conveyed to the player a bit more strongly.

The last thing I want to comment on is that you can really feel the age of the hide mechanics. For example - while in Alien: Isolation, you can hide in lockers or fluidly crawl under desks. In SOMA, the best you can do is hide behind a wall & crouch. It feels very old, and while it may have worked in Amnesia: TDD, it simply doesn't hold up too well anymore.

To sum an opinion, I believe SOMA's monster sequences, while not the best in the world, were enjoyable, and more interesting than annoying.
10-05-2015, 07:55 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters - by Vale - 10-05-2015, 06:46 PM
RE: Official Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters - by VirtuallyJesse - 10-05-2015, 07:55 PM