Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which of these answers describes best how you felt about SOMA's monsters?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Not scary at all and very easy to get past.
0%
0 0%
Just an annoyance.
3.93%
12 3.93%
A bit scary, but mostly annoying.
19.34%
59 19.34%
A bit scary and interesting to encounter
23.93%
73 23.93%
Very scary, but also a bit annoying
32.46%
99 32.46%
Very scary and interesting to encounter.
20.33%
62 20.33%
Total 305 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters
Sevtai Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Official Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters

I, as many have, feel the need to expand on my answer - Very Scary, but also a bit annoying.

Again, like with many others, I would answer very differently for each (main) monster, which I would like to expand (Only briefly I'm not here to write an essay (this turned out to be a lie)) below; spoilers abound, but yeah, if you are here you should really have finished the game Tongue

--

Monster 1 - Walker Robot
This guy was brill, it was a good, nicely paced introduction to the enemies in the game. The levels were great on their own and didn't rely on the monster to be great - this is key. I enjoyed exploring the level at my own pace and especially appreciate the 'trigger' to lure the monster out for the final encounter. It allowed the lore junky in me to get his fix, and then in my own time, let the excitement happen. He does not overstay his welcome.

Monster 2 - Disco Ball Head
Again, this guy was brill. You took the training wheels straight off. Short introduction to say 'the enemy has changed now' then a serious of jumps and reminders 'the enemy is still here, you will have to deal with this guy' and then a puzzle level to get around it. Paced brill. This monster was a challenge too, the monster on the bridge especially. Mechanically he was great too, the 'don't look' mechanic while it seems to be standard worked beautifully in the context. Again, he does not overstay his welcome and ends on a nice thriller chase scene.

Monster 3 - Server Room Shambler
This guy during his first encounter works. The server room is littered with junk, kicking the junk lures the monster. It's dark enough so you learn about his blindness with the torch, and short enough that the puzzle is interesting but not overdrawn. Not as great as the previous two, but it works.

Monster 4 - Akers
Akers is an important lore point. He is a little bit of the glue that holds everything together. Without him, something would certainly be missing. The level he is in is interesting and does not rely on the monster - much like the first. However, his area is full of lore, information, and story. Akers is thrust upon you in such a way that he obscures this information. It can be difficult to search, read and listen to logs and documents when you have to hide in a corner facing the wall hoping he doesn't get you and interrupt the recording you are listening too. His level works great. Akers is important and as a creature, and slightly more powerfull shambler, works great. However, the way he is introduced is not great.

I feel that, if Akers appeared after you picked up the security chip, he walked past the security room glass, made some noise and was generally creepy blocking your way back, this level would be miles better. Lore junky gets to read, explore and get to grips with the level first, then either intentionally or accidently, can progress, trigger the monster with the acquisition of the chip. Careful players get to explore. But the average player still has the chance to be ambushed.

Monster 5 - Maintenance Tunnel Shamblers
This level was lame, it was a maze puzzle. It was a repeat enemy, and as far as I am aware there was no lore or exploration, just a dodge the monster-maze puzzle that went on a little too long, and recycled an enemy we had already seen. Perhaps this level would have been better with a new creature? perhaps this level would have been better if it was shorter? This was the most annoying part for me. Sad

Monster 6 - Scary Screamy Omicron Lady
Goooooood, this was right back on track. Personally I feel I completed this level in the perfect order. Middle level first, bottom level, top level. At first I thought 'Nice break after the stupid maze, little puzzle, no enemies here'. The flashing monster at the central column was making things tense, but I felt safe. Then just as the level was wrapping up, there she is, a wild card! The level was good without her, the level was AMAZING with her. Tough enemy, similar to disco ball, but different enough to stump players. And after you have dealt with her, another tense chase! Even better than before! Good level, good enemy!

Monster 7 - Tau Suit
This guy was downhill again. In the same sense of Akers. The level was full of lore, and story. But I was forced to deal with this, IMHO very very OP monster. It can see, it can hear, it is fast, and it always seems to find you. I had to rush this entire level, just so I did not constantly die. And as such, I figure I have missed out on important lore and story.

I realise this guy is a sort of 'boss' for the final level, blocking the gate to the final stretch. But come on? Level could have been great, OP monster, IMHO, ruined it. Undecided

--

I missed a few monsters, as I said, these are the main encounters that I feel affect gameplay. So overall, very scary, I loved most of the monsters. But enough of them got in the way of story and lore collection that they spoiled it, and just came off as annoying.

Not to say I dislike the game. I LOVED the game. It was glorious in its entirety! Big Grin
10-05-2015, 10:47 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters - by Vale - 10-05-2015, 06:46 PM
RE: Official Poll Regarding SOMA's Monsters - by Sevtai - 10-05-2015, 10:47 PM