Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Script helpers by modders for modders
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Script helpers by modders for modders

Quote:"Prefabs"
Well, in some sense, I guess you can think of them like that. Scripts that offer functionality you can reuse in many different projects and in various ways.

But Jens was talking about something slightly different. In HPL2, the scripting system consisted more or less of a bunch of functions that you could call in user scripts, but that were defined in the game engine itself (as in, embedded in the game executable files).
With HPL3, there are also functions and some other stuff defined in this way, but they are much more low-level (that is they are much more "closer" to the "core" engine features other stuff is built upon), and there's quite a bit more of them.
Then there's a whole another level (or two) of script code written "on top" of those core features that makes all kinds of things happen. To work with that directly, you have to know quite a bit about programming.

However, FG then created on top of all that these helper scripts that make it much more simpler to use that stuff, and make scripting feel more like it was in HPL2/Amnesia - and these are the helper scripts that Jens was talking about.
For what most people will be doing, these will suffice for pretty much everything you can think of.
So, they are important in the sense that here they play the role engine script functions played before in HPL2.
And there's a lot more of these helper functions this time around, so there's a lot more things you can do. And while some of the documentation on the wiki is still being prepared - for helper functions, there's documentation in the .hps files themselves that scripters can make use of, so that's pretty neat.

(10-08-2015, 08:50 PM)Mudbill Wrote: If you know of The Second Dimension (which I'd find likely) and looked at its code (which I'd find unlikely)

Hehehe @ that second part Big Grin

I guess when most people look at the code they go: "What sorcery is this?!"
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015, 09:12 PM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
10-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Script helpers by modders for modders - by Vale - 10-08-2015, 02:46 PM
RE: Script helpers by modders for modders - by TheGreatCthulhu - 10-08-2015, 09:04 PM