Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Working Amnesia-Style Inventory System (In Progress)
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Working Amnesia-Style Inventory System (In Progress)

(10-19-2015, 10:52 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Does this happen regardless of whether you pick up those Omnitools or not? Perhaps it's related to one of those items? Maybe try a clean map, join, save and exit, does it then still occur?

I could also suggest you cut (comment) out some of the code you added lately to reduce the troubleshooting spectrum to a minimum.

Here's the new log of that: http://pastebin.com/XDGSfqD7

I created a brand new map with just a start area and a plane, loaded it up, then saved and exited, and the same thing happened.

(10-19-2015, 02:04 PM)TheTieMan Wrote: Run the exe on debuger program and see what is activated when the game crashes.
Look in the call tree and see what functions are activated.

Yeah, I know. I was just seeing if there was something quick to look at, since I discovered this after I had already wrapped up my debug environment and hoped that I didn't have to go through and set it all up again.

Now this is interesting. I loaded up my other test CS map instead that has no usage of the inventory system whatsoever, and it crashed as well. I'm gonna backup my mod files and try reinstalling SOMA. Maybe in my digging through the game files I screwed something up.

Tried reinstalling SOMA. It made my other CS map save fine, but the inventory map is still crashing. What's more, when I set up the debug environment again, it crashed the exact same way - no error messages, no stack traces, no exceptions, nothing. The game just freezes up and quits, and I get a generic windows dialog saying it crashed. The empty map as well... just a silent and hard crash.

I've narrowed it down to something within the journal module. I ran the map with the inventory module enabled (but not going anywhere that requires making calls to the journal) and it saved just fine.

Ahem. I would like to direct everyone's attention to this scripting article on the wiki. Particularly, the section where it talks about not having object handles among your member variables. Then I would like to show Exhibit B, where I had a member variable that I created near the beginning of working on the journal module, that I never used once and had completely forgotten about. But apparently, when FG says that handles as member variables isn't supported, they are not kidding. Like, game-crashes-without-saying-a-word levels of not kidding.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 06:02 AM by Abion47.)
10-20-2015, 02:54 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working Amnesia-Style Inventory System (In Progress) - by Abion47 - 10-20-2015, 02:54 AM