Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Blog: "When focusing on fun fails"
Kaese Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Blog: "When focusing on fun fails"

While I agree to the opinions of most of the blogposts, this one strikes me a little weird.
In the first part you make it sound like making a game "fun" is the worst thing someone could do.
How does that make any sense?
The biggest goal of all should be to make a game fun, why would I want to play a game I dont enjoy and have fun with.
Yes, there are different kinds of fun, but you can pretty much tell if a game is good if you had fun with it.
So while Resident Evil 5 for example has a weak as hell story, no horror feeling at all left, tons of unlocks requiring multiple playthroughs to get it still was damn fun to play.
I had a blast running through it multiple times with some buddies.

How does an awesome story make a game better if its no fun at all playing through?
I can see your point if it is about "horror"games like in one of the older posts.
Combat should not be fun if the goal is to create a true horror game. But on the other hand something else in the game has to be fun, be it the atmosphere or story.
Making those fun and completly skipping enjoyable combat is hard to do tho.
Most games don't even try anymore and the videogameworld gone "casual".

I am also a completionist that always has to find all the secrets and get all the unlocks.
So how about just playing through the game without worrying about hidden stuff and enjoying it and then coming back later to get all those coins/diaries/diamonds/weapons/whatever.
Adding replay value to a game does not make it bad, you just have to focus on the game itself on your first experience with it.
On later playthroughs you already know the story, you already know specific encounters, so if a game is completly focused on story without any of those forced in replayvalues there is no point to play it again.
It is like having just finished reading a book and starting over again.

You can hate or love all this unlocking/leveling/collecting, but seeing how fancy games like Modern Warfare 2 (Having you level up 70 to unlock all weapons, then resetting you to level 0 again and removing all your weapons to make you level up again 10 times for some useless titles and badges) sell, there have to be some people enjoying these things.

edit: just realised this thread only got necromanced
05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Blog: "When focusing on fun fails" - by Thomas - 01-06-2010, 09:51 PM
RE: Blog: "When focusing on fun fails" - by Kaese - 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM