Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Series Ending Discussion (spoilers)
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48
RE: Penumbra Series Ending Discussion (spoilers)

This is what the hivemind said:

"I am relieved mankind, in a being such as you, selfisheness would be catastrophic.
You have shown that you can think higher then it's vision. And for this reason, I shall reveal
to you, what which I revealed to Howard.

I came here to this place, many years ago. Before mankind was even outright. As aeons came
and went, mankind appeared around me, and found names for me: Demon, Spirit, Tuurngait.

We existed in harmony, for much time. I lie in doorment, within what you refer to as: The infected.
And they, benefeting from my knowledge and protection.

But mankind changed, and I fled. So much power in mankind, so many questions. And yet without the
intelligence to answer them.

Mankind grows, and tries to form a whole, a community. But somehow, it becomes more dangerous.

More angry, and with no direction for this anger, despite itself and its world.

And then, I was discovered. Mankind created this place to find me, and silence me. They tore open
my resting place. And said about destroying me. And I, with no form of defense, was forced to attack.
I am not the barbarian, I am not the invader, you are!

But you mankind, you are different. You have proved this. And now I ask for your mercy. Do not allow
me to be destroyed by your kind. Wich they would surely do. They followed the inuite here, and you
followed them.

There will be more. Will you send word, will you destroy all trace of this place, so that no mankind
will ever discover me again? Will you do this, for me?"

After all they had put Phillip through, he wants his friend to kill them all.
This is what tuurngait means in inuit mythology:

Some spirits were by nature unconnected to physical bodies. These figures were called tuurngait (also tornait, tornat, tornrait, singular tuurngaq, torngak, tornrak, tarngek). Some were helping spirits that could be called upon in times of need. Some were evil and monstrous, responsible for bad hunts and broken tools. They could also possess humans, as recounted in the story of Atanarjuat. An angakkuq with good intentions could use them to heal sickness, and find animals to hunt and feed the community. He or she could fight or exorcise bad tuurngait, or they could be held at bay by rituals; However, an angakkuq with harmful intentions could also use "tuurngait" for their own personal gain, or to attack other people and their tuurngait.
Though once Tuurngaq simply meant "helping spirit", it has, with Christianisation, taken on the meaning of demon in the Christian belief system.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2010, 01:43 PM by Gunslingerjh.)
08-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Penumbra Series Ending Discussion (spoilers) - by Gunslingerjh - 08-16-2010, 01:34 PM