Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: How you prefer your horror games:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
With weapons.
4.17%
1 4.17%
With no weapons.
16.67%
4 16.67%
With weapons and no weapons.
79.17%
19 79.17%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Weapons or no weapons in horror games?
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34
RE: Weapons or no weapons in horror games?

I see that I'm the first to choose with weapons.

My vision of a perfect game involves some shooting mechanics but not from classic shooters.
Character is building his own weapons and from scavenged materials just to survive the environment.
This sometimes means he lacks the ammo and needs to outsmart the A.I. and explore as much as possible to find whatever has some usage.

Killing is not necesary, only if it needs to be backed up for the particular character in the story.

Weapons and ammo could be as discharging type to stun,paralyze disable or disorient the A.I. in environment.
Also using the level design itself could make desired effect.

Reason for that is:
when a person finds himself in life threatening situation, basic instinct is to defend himself the way his mind is giving the orders to the body . It's subconscious even if the player is cornered and has no where to go. He/she is guided by instincts.

For the gameplay, possibilities are: finding scarce items or blueprints to build something to delay attacks (emp concoctions, hand build items to decieve the enemies, to stun them, to trap them ...)

Items should be scarce so that gameplay is balanced. Furthermore, this has rewarding effect to the players who want to explore environments to salvage the loot to create valuable and life saving items.

Also, solving the puzzles to get the items is always welcomed.

Some gameplay mechanics:
-throwable darts to anesthetize the enemies permenently or for a brief moment
-emp concoctions
-traps
-self-made sci-fi weapons or based on actual electronics

While doing this, players gets the challenge as well the reward which should be significant in some sitiuation.

There could be some stealth element in the game while crouching and using the chloroform/stun when carefully approaching the enemies.

Implementing all this mechanics, player has some means to strategize while at the same time it gives additional depth to the game.

Challenge is present in every direction, however player must feel he has something to rely and survive based on his accomplishments.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2016, 02:48 PM by Radiance.)
01-18-2016, 11:57 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Weapons or no weapons in horror games? - by Radiance - 01-18-2016, 11:57 AM