Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)
IronLotus Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)

Those are good questions. Let's see...

I don't even know if I can explain my feelings towards Daniel really. At first I felt rather sad for him. In this instance, I cannot say that I "became" Daniel, but rather perceived myself as a voice inside his head - much like Clarence was to Philip. I 'advised' Daniel, even reassured him when he was scared; It was a journey for both of us to discover who he had been and what he had done. But after I found out that he had gruesomely tortured all those people, I guess I felt disgust. I didn't outright hate Daniel, but was upset with him for trying to pin it all on Alexander.
As for Alexander, I never truly believed that he was the "bad guy." He is, in fact, a very ambiguous and complex character. I realized that he had never meant to drive Daniel insane, but he had wanted to help him. Alexander wanted to believe that Daniel was his friend, but under the circumstances it was a friendship gone horribly wrong. I felt sympathy towards the Baron, never hate.
And Agrippa... to be honest, his presence in the middle of all this kind of threw me off - I did want to help him, but not at the cost of a kind of false redemption.

My first ending was one made by choice. I chose to stay in the Cell and face the Darkness. In my mind, if Daniel had gotten past his prejudiced rage, he would have seen that Alexander really was telling the truth. After all that he had done, Daniel's only real chance at redemption was to face the Darkness whom he had killed so many for, just to preserve himself. Running away from your problems doesn't solve them, it only makes them worse. It was a numbing experience, waiting to die behind those prison bars, but it was the right thing to do.

How did I like the ending? Well, I liked it, although I was hoping for some sort of reunion with Alexander in the end. At least he thanked us for being understanding - and it was a good reward for Daniel's sacrifice.

I got the other endings because I love choice. When it comes to a good game, there always has to be some sort of a choice involved with how and why you play the game. As for my favorite ending, it was the one I got first.

The bottom line really is, that I LOVED Amnesia, just as I loved the Penumbra series. Both games were able to turn simply playing them, into experiencing them, the characters and the stories. Bravo!
10-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish) - by IronLotus - 10-20-2010, 12:25 AM